Monday, September 15, 2008

Yike, IKE, IKE, IKE, IKE...

Well, to start off with, we are definitely fine and dandy here in Katy. Hurricane Ike did make his self known, but in the end, his remains can always be fixed, replaced, and cleaned. To give you a little info. on how we spent our night, I thought I'd blog "our story".
I guess with the last hurricane just being a "teaser", personally, I didn't get too caught up in the preparation and hype of Ike. I just thought I'd hear and see some wind and rain. Needless to say, Yatshi, Peanut, and I spent the night in the closet. Michael was on watch, which was a good thing, because we did end up having a hole in our roof from a vent or air duct thing being ripped off our roof. This leading to water coming into the attic and making its way down to the first floor. Yes, we have some water damage on our roof and inside on the ceiling, but the husband did his best and ended up "saving" our new carpet that we just put in in April. It was a mess (for all of us OCD people). The morning after, I woke up thinking, "Man, that's what a hurricane is like?" with the no big deal attitude. Well, then I walked into the livingroom where I saw all of our towels on the floor and a trashcan catching dripping water. I could feel the "OCD" kicking inside of me, like we had to get this cleaned up asap. Then, Michael told me to look outside...shingles everywhere, fences blown down (not ours to our surpise), our big pine tree in the backyard half standing and the other half on our house. All in all, we made out great. We only ended up losing power for about a day. Like I said before, the damage that we did have can always be fixed, replaced, or cleaned. Our lives and safety are what we are really thankful for.
Here are a few pictures of Ike's visit...

1 comment:

Mary said...

What a disaster a hurricane can leave behind! I'm sure you are aware of Hurricane Sandy as well. The damage it left us was overwhelmingly terrifying. There were houses that had their roof shingles scattered everywhere, sidings were torn, and trees had fallen down on driveways and on the main street. We're just thankful we have warranties for our roofing system, or it would have been costly. How did you fix the leak in yours?

Mary Martin